Finalizing the Game
This week, we finalized multiple aspects of the game. At the same time, we have reached a consensus in terms of design. Together, we were able to bring Deliver It to life and we are proud of the final product.
When we met this week, we put the finishing touches on the game. From a mechanical standpoint, we decided to make a rule that allowed a player to sacrifice two of his/her 4 actions in order to receive a tip card (to lessen the rich gets richer effect). We also put a limit on how many tips cards a player can have to avoid hoarding of the cards. We also agreed that it would be far less complicated if we are to avoid the use of "customer cards" as they mimicked the tips cards way too much. Instead, we opted to have certain iconic features of NY already painted on the board to simplify the game and to avoid replication of card ideas. Finally, we decided on final value points for each order card. Based on a number of mathematical calculations and factoring in the difficulty of each location, we have adjusted the value of each order card to make it fair for all players.
In terms of the design, we decided on 14 road pattern cards, 14 order cards, and 30 tip cards. We reviewed all the tip cards and made sure the wording was accurate and unambiguous in anyway. We also made street signs (stop signs, one way, etc) that are needed to complement the tip cards. We also received the monopoly cars which we have painted to make them fit our game. Each person of our team was responsible for a specific aspect of the game. I designed the order cards and road pattern cards and then took them to print and laminate. Toni created the tip cards and purchased the necessary tokens for the game. Shady created the board design and and printed that. Finally, Adam created the rule book and reference card and we all helped edit them for errors.
All in all, I believe we were able to create a successful game. We initially struggled to match the game them (parking) to the game mechanics. However, we were able to modify the game and find a solution to this problem (now it's Deliver It!) This idea makes sense thematically and works well with the design of the board. Admittedly, this board game project was slightly more challenging than the card game because more components were involved. However, after working on this project for a long time, I am looking forward to presenting it to the players in class.